Thursday, March 10, 2011

Woman's Hour interview

Mary Wollstonecraft got almost ten minutes on Radio 4 today, via Jenni Murray, esteemed presenter of Woman's Hour, and Barbara Taylor, biographer mentioned previously, and me. [updated] You can listen here. I begin by reading one of the most excerpted passages, from the introduction to A Vindication of the Rights of Woman. [updated] The interview was included in the pick of the female week, Weekend Woman's Hour, but truncated.

[updated] I know I muddled that letter. It was to Jane Arden (ardent Jane!), and I paraphrased. Mary wrote: "I am a little singular in my thoughts of love and friendship; I must have the first place or none". I do know the difference between poetic truth and historical accuracy, but you try maintaining that distinction when under the steely eye of one of the BBC's finest interviewers. -- Help with transcription is sought here.

3 comments:

  1. Yay! I shall download on my iPod and listen at the gym tomorrow morning. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sandrine. Your comments on its content would be welcome too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I really liked your description of her relationship with Jane Arden 'She fell in love with a library that had a girl attached to it'. lol.

    ReplyDelete